Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Car seat toy holder


I wanted something safe to put on my 7 month old car seat to keep her toys from falling or more like her throwing them on the floor. We travel long distance at least once a month, sometimes without another adult. So using fabric and pipe insulation this is what I came up with.

Need:
Pipe insulation Measured to fit your car seat with
Fabric to match the length of your pipe and wide enough to go around (my pipe was 1.5 inches, I cut my fabric 5 inches and just cut off extra when done)
five strips 1inx 20
two strips 2in x 20
Velcro
take the 2-2inch strips and fold both long ends towards the middle, iron

Repeat last step, then sew both sides
add the Velcro to both sides, make sure 1 is on the outside and 1 is on the inside, so when then fold over they meet

Fold and iron your main fabric down the middle. this will help with placement of your loops
take your 1 in strips fold each long piece to the middle, iron then fold in half length wise


sew

now start attaching I measured 3 inches in from side for my first loop. Stitch several times to secure it, I am sure this will be tugged on a lot.Measure 3 inches from last loop to place the next loop. Repeat until all loops you have are attached

all loops attached

Fold long, curve one end and sew leaving the ends open
add your 2 inch strip with the Velcro to the curved end, Velcro side inside tube, overhanging a bit so it will be caught when you sew it closed. Turn right side


layer the last 2 inch loop, and Velcro and stitch

now you are going to stuff

All done!

Enough space for your little one to sit. I would only attach soft toys, so there was no chance of her getting hurt. I am sure you could even modify end the end straps to fit a infant car seat handle.

Show and Tell Green

3 comments:

Star @ A Load Of Craft said...

really cute! thanks for sharing!! i found you on "get inspired" at sew dang cute :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh wow, this is such a great idea. I love it. The pipe is genius. Thanks so much for adding this to the One Pretty Thing Flickr pool. I'll be linking.

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Love this!!! Great tutorial! Thanks for linking up at my link party!