Thursday, January 28, 2010

Single Crib bumpers



Thank you to Rachel from one pretty thing for helping me get started in the crafting world!

My first tutorial is for my 5 month old daughter. She always gets her limbs caught in between the crib slats and banging her head on them. It is recommend not to use bumpers because of SIDS. On line a lady sells individual crib bumpers but they are very expensive. So I thought I would give it a shot.

As you can see there are 4 slats that need to be finished which is what I am sharing with you here.

EDIT: I have since gone back and added mod podge to each one to hold them on sturdier. Once Savannah started moving about and kicking she started to take the fabric off. It added a little time to the project but not much.



What you will need:

pipe insulation (I used 1in to go around my slats aprox. 12, 6 ft tubes) with glue on the ends
fabric that doesn't fray (flannel, fleece) I have 36 slats and used 6yrds of fabric
scissors
mod podge (optional)



I have 3 different size rails, so I measured and cut the pipping to fit, I cut the fabric as I went for most of them. At the end I ran out of fabric so I put scraps together which is what you see here.
Lay the pipping on the fabric


Do this in stages to keep fabric straight. Tear away the plastic that is covering the glue on the edge of pipping place the edge of the fabric over and press with you finger to secure.

EDIT: This is where I added the mod podge. Still do the top step 1st. I used a paint brush to apply the mod podge before rolling the fabric over the pipping. I let dry for 24hrs or what ever your directions say.


This is what one side looks like when finished, don't wrap fabric to tight or it will pull the pipping apart and create a space and wont stay around slats.


Roll the pipping over and cut down the fabric leaving approximately 1inc (enough) to go over the glue on this side, then repeat previous step.




Trim one end of fabric even with piping. This is were Mod Podge comes in play. What ever end you chose as the top leave a little past pipe, cut slits around circle, put Mod Podge over end and fold fabric over let dry at least 20mins. If you chose you can trim even on both ends.




The finished product, the first one is where the pipping ends, the second is the back.

I tried these with batting and Velco. I didn't like the outcome, it was very very time consuming and took double the fabric. Hope you like!

pipe insulation about 1.29-1.59 per 6ft
fabric on sale total $17

SYS Thurs



Show and Tell ORANGE







giveaways

11 comments:

bethany said...

Wow-this is such a cool idea! I've never seen anything like this before!

Jaime said...

this is ingenious!

Jane said...

This is genius!

Shelley said...

You are indeed a genius!

Megan said...

I have seen these and wanted them, but they were too expensive and seemed like they would take for ever to make! Your idea of using pipe insulation is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jo said...

They must have taken forever to make!!!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

very clever! Who knew that crafting supplies are in the hardware store! :) Great job! :)

Jill said...

What a great tutorial, thanks for sharing, it turned out very cute! Thanks for joining the party!

chris said...

Wow. Very clever. Too bad we're done with cribs!

missbossypants said...

Stopping by from Somewhat Simple...
Great bumpers! wonderful idea!

kelceyo said...

I just have a question: since I can't see a real close-up of the bumpers I can't tell how close together they end up being. Is there a gap between each bumper to allow for free air flow? Or are they butted up against each other? (oops, two questions)